Saturday, April 10, 2010

Time 3-50

Summary
Clare, 20, and Henry, 28, meet for the first time (for Henry) and go on a date. At this time Clare knows who Henry is, as she first met him in the meadow when she was 6 years old. Henry has a genetic disorder that allows him to travel through time, kind of unexpectedly. Clare explains to him that she is his future wife and they end up going on a date that ends with making love.

Next we learn about Henry's first time traveling experience when he was just 5 years old. He meets with his 24-year-old self and they take a private tour of the Field Museum.

Then, Henry, 36 an Clare 6, meet for the first time in the meadow for Clare.

We leave off where Henry 27 is teaching his 9-year-old self how to pick-pocket.

Questions
Do you like how the author tells the story from both Clare and Henry's perspective?
Why do you think she decided to do that?
What do you think it would be like to time travel like Henry?

My thoughts
I'm really enjoying the book, it's such a fascinating story. I enjoy the fact that we get to hear the personal perspectives from both Clare and Henry. I think she did this to in order to tell the whole story more effectively and make it easier to become emotionally tied to both characters and understand both of their sides.

I always thought time traveling would be a wonderful thing, but for Henry it doesn't seem so wonderful. Not sure I would want to have the ability to disappear at any given moment with a plan.

I'm very intrigued by the fact that Henry and Clare first met, for Clare, when she was only 6 years old. How hopelessly romantic. I love that.

What are your thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. I'm making a comment, but have not read the book :( Sorry, but morning sickness makes it nearly impossible to read, especially when my head is mostly in the toilet. No fun.
    Glad you like the book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that the story is told by both characters. I really gives a sense of how each character reacts to the time travelling of Henry. I don't think it would have been as affective if told only from Henry. I personally would not like to time travel. The thought of knowing or seeing the past and future would make life terrible. Imagine just vanishing from work or while you walk down the street! How would you explain this to people. I would hate to be in that situation. Life would not be fun, the good things in life would not be good because you know how they turn out and when it happens. I don't envy Henry at all. I do give credit for Claire..... I can't imagine being married to someone like that and having to live with them always vanishing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did enjoy that the story is beingtold by both of them at the same time but I had a really hard time getting into it.

    (sorry I am late! I was away all last week!)

    ReplyDelete