Saturday, April 24, 2010

Time 101-150

Summary
Clare is 16 and it's the first day after the incident in which she and Henry tied up her date who had beaten her. She is applauded by all the girls. We then flash to Clare at age 24 and Henry, 32 has just returned from the day of the incident. She thanks him and says that that is the only time they speak of it.

Next Henry, 36, tells about a time in 1988 where he and Clare, 17, are in the Orchard. She draws him and it's a drawing they actually end up hanging in their home.

Then it's Christmas Eve later that same year. Care is still 17, but Henry is 40 at this visit. He recalls the day his mother was killed in a car crash. He would have been killed too, only he time traveled before it could happen. Henry feels guilty about this. He also has time traveled to this event time and time again. Then we hear from Henry that day again, only he is in the present and 25 years old. He's remembering his mother's death again and gets dangerously drunk.

Next Henry 40 meets Clare, 17 and her blind grandmother in the meadow.

Now we go back to present time, 1991, Henry, 28, and Clare, 20. Henry is has dinner at Clare's and meets her friend Charisse and Charisse's boyfriend Gomez. Gomez doesn't seem to like Henry very much, but he is very fond of Clare, kind of protective of her.

Next it's December, 1991 and Tuesday, May 9, 2000, Henry is 36. Henry is in a fight with a guy who just happens to be Gomez's friend. Gomez interupts the fight and he and Henry end up going on a little walk together and have dinner. Over dinner Henry reveals to Gomez his secret and tells him that in the future the two are very good friends. Clare has also told Gomez the secret but Gomez doesn't believe until he sees Henry disappear.

The next day, Clare, 20, meets up with Gomez and they discuss what happened. Gomez, now a believer, is still weary of Clare and tells her she shouldn't marry Henry. Clare insists the two are already intertwined and that it's her destiny to marry him.

Questions
What do you think about the death of Henry's mother?
How has this influenced his view on time traveling, women, and life?
What was your first impression of Gomez?
What do you think about Gomez telling Clare she shouldn't marry Henry?
What do you think about Clare's reaction?
What are some scenes you loved?


My thoughts
I couldn't believe how Henry's mother was killed how horrible for a young child to experience such a thing. I think it must be very hard on him because he keeps reliving this moment, literally traveling back in time to the accident. How awful.

I did not like Gomez at first, but he grew on me. I think he likes Clare and wants to keep her from getting hurt. Being with Henry must be very difficult for Clare. I love how Clare's reaction is articulated. I've been in a relationship like this, not the time traveling part of course ;), but where I'm just so wrapped up in someone and they're wrapped up in me – we're intertwined, it seems like it's already done, we're destined for each other.

I loved the scene where Clare is drawing Henry. It's such a beautiful scene – how deep and concentrated she is in him and he in her. What love, it's been a long time since I've felt that way. ;(

I also like how Henry tells her he didn't know she was tracking his moods and Clare's response: "What else do I have to go on." Wow, that's a great line because it's so true about relationships especially those between a man and a woman. Sometimes communication just seems impossible and it's all a guessing game. That certainly is how it is for the young Clare when she's with Henry.

2 comments:

  1. I think for me, this is when it started to get better, we are learning some solid facts.

    But poor Henry, poor poor boy. Then to have to keep going back and reliving it, literally.

    Sure their destiny is intertwined but it's only guarenteed if they want it to be. I mean Clare can back away right?

    I liked Gomez right away, his being very protective of Clare was what she needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imagine watching the whole crash unfold then being whisked away at that exact second. I guess I would feel very fortunate to have not died. I would have mixed feelings about time travel, it saved me from death but it makes me relive the moment over again from the sidelines. I would have such mixed emotions about my ability to time travel.

    I think it is this mixed emotions that leads Henry down a dark path of drinking, fighting and unstable relationships. Like anyone who experiences trauma he lashes out by rebelling. Thank god Clare comes along to make him straighten out. But I guess he knew that she would help him turn around.

    I did not like Gomez. I don't know why, maybe because he tried to intervene and stop the Henry and Clare from being together. I thought he was a bit shifty at first but he is growing on me. He seems to be developing a fairly good relationship with Henry so my feelings of him are changing.

    At this point in the book I don't think I have a favourite part yet. I did like the scene of Clare and Henry and the blind grandmother, but I don't think I would say it was a favourite. Hmmm, I wonder, did the grandmother experience a time travelling husband?

    ReplyDelete